Friday 13 August 2010

Chanel Paradoxal - Worth the hype?

In the words of Jane Austen, 'It is a truth universally acknowledged that ............ every season Chanel will design the must-have nail colour of the season'. It started with Jade, then came Particuliere, Nouvelle Vague was this summer and now Paradoxal has hit the shelves.




I managed to pick up a bottle of Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour in Paradoxal first thing this morning and the sales assistant said they were expecting it to sell out by lunchtime. Previous must-have colours by Chanel have ended up on eBay for 2,3,4 and even 5 times the RRP of £16.50 so the lesson is if you want it, buy it now!



The question is, is it worth all the hype?

Before I answer, I must confess to being a bit of a nail junkie. I adore colour and am like a human magpie for all things shiny, so nail varnish is the perfect way for me to express this. As you can see from the photo above, I have the most recent Chanel sell outs but I was a little hesitant over this latest as I had thought it could be a little too similar to Vendetta. For this reason, I have taken some photos of this shade on my nails so that if you were thinking the same thing, you can compare the two.



Vendetta is a very dark purple that can almost look black in certain lights. It has a metallic edge to it and is best described as black with a hint of purple.




When I saw Paradoxal in person and tried it out, I was surprised at how light it is. It is almost more similar to Particuliere than Vendetta. It is a cool mushroom colour with subtle metallic lilac running through it. At first glance it looks like a slate grey, but the lilac that is shot through it gives it that modern edge. It has proved quite difficult to photograph, despite my best efforts, but at least it gives you an idea how it looks on the nails.



I love purple and this shade was not what I expected, but I think it is a fantastic colour for Autumn/Winter. Neutral enough to be worn everyday to work, but the added twist gives it that extra air of sophistication. There are many colours on the market that may appear similar, for example Nails Inc have some great greys and OPI do fabulous metallics and shimmers, but I haven't seen anything that combines this dove grey base with cool lilac in such a natural way.



So, to answer the original question, yes, Chanel have done it again and Paradoxal is worth the hype. I think it would look fantastic on any ages and is the perfect shade for any woman looking for a bit of Parisian Chic. If you prefer bold, statement colours, this may not be for you, but if effortless elegance is what you are after, Paradoxal can't be beaten.

If this post has whetted your appetite and you can't get to a Chanel counter pronto, there are 3 online retailers that I know of that haven't yet launched the Fall Collection so they should have stock tomorrow. These are :

I had a quick look at the rest of the Chanel Fall Collection and it is stunning. I think it would probably suit cooler skintones as there are a lot of deep purples and smokey greys but there is something for everyone. There are 3 new blushers, a bright pink, deep plum and neutral rose, a smokey eye shadow quad, 3 new shades of the Rouge Coco lipstick, 2 eyeliners and 2 single eye shadows in khaki and grey.

I couldn't resist the eyeshadow quad and rose blush, but I could easily have bought everything if my budget had allowed! Although I really enjoyed the Summer pop up collection of nail varnishes and lip products, this new collection is my favourite from the last few years. When my bank balance has fully recovered, I will undoubtedly be back for more.

I will try and post some photos of the eyeshadow quad and blush tomorrow but a word of warning if considering entering a department store this weekend, there are so many beautiful Fall Collections out now, particularly at Dior and Estee Lauder, not to mention Nars and No.7, that your wallet could take a beating!

Happy Shopping
         X

No comments:

Post a Comment